Who Am I?
My name is Tim. I'm a father working to save the world for our kids. I run ZeroW.org to help people learn how to tread more lightly on our earth and pursue Zero Waste -- saving our environment, oceans, climate, money, and lives. There are many women who are Zero Waste advocates (see below), so I'm here to provide a good male role model as well ;-).
Bicycling is a splendid Zero Waste practice and it's fun! Along the "Zero" theme, Vision Zero is an international effort to eliminate all traffic fatalities and severe injuries. This involves re-engineering transportation facilities and better educating everyone. On the facilities side I serve on the Sunnyvale Bicycle and Pedestrian Commission and Caltrans District 4 Bicycle Committee. On the education side I am a certified League Cycling Instructor who loves to teach people how to bicycle and do so safely. If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, Bicycle Solutions, one of the companies I work with, has private and group lessons for those who want to learn to ride or ride better. I also work with Santa Clara County Public Health, Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition, and others.
In 2019 across America...
From February through May 2019 I will bicycle 4400 miles from San Francisco to Boston via two dozen+ aquariums to connect with people across the US; discuss Oceans, Climate, and Zero Waste; and raise $44,000 to protect our Environment. Fossil fuels are not only polluting our air and causing climate change, they are also dirtying our oceans with millions of tons of plastic that kill wildlife and even end up in our own food! What goes around comes around, so what we throw away (even what goes into landfills) eventually will come back to haunt us. If you are able, please support me at Save Our Seas 2019. I'm doing this for all of our kids and future generations. Donations big and small are all welcome. I'd like to show people across the US that there are many who care about our oceans and our climate and our children. Whether you are able to donate or not, please post where you are from, what you do for a living, and why this is important to you. If I can get 1000 people to support me, that means more to me than reaching my goal of $44,000. People are powerful. We have changed the world in many ways already and we have the power to improve our world too. Connecting with each other is key to working together, which is why I'm doing my ride. Thanks!
Why Zero Waste?
Save money, improve health, reduce pollution, protect our environment. Waste is a waste.
For the sake of our children, species, and world, we should all pursue Zero Waste. It is the ethical thing to do. We have been given a beautiful world and it is up to us to take care of it. Otherwise mother nature will have her revenge eventually and our kids will suffer: Climate Change, Pollution, Disease, Famine, and War. Fossil fuels cause climate change -- best to leave them in the ground. Plastics (also from fossil fuels) are killing our oceans...
A Passion for Zero Waste
Please watch my TEDx talk from April 2018. It shows why I am passionate about Zero Waste and a few of the things I do each day.
How To Go Zero Waste?
Read and learn from any or all of the following.
The best Zero Waste books I've read (please borrow from your library or get electronic editions):
- No Impact Man by Colin Beavan
- Plastic Free by Beth Terry
- Zero Waste Home by Bea Johnson
- The Zero-Waste Lifestyle: Live Well by Throwing Away Less by Amy Korst
- Detrash Your Life in 90 Days: Your Complete Guide to the Art of Zero Waste Living by Katie Patrick
- Big Chicken by Maryn McKenna
My favorite Zero Waste websites and blogs:
- http://www.zerowastehome.com/ - Bea Johnson - SF Bay Area
- http://www.goingzerowaste.com/ - Kathryn Kellogg - SF Bay Area
- http://trashisfortossers.com/ - Lauren Singer - New York City & Los Angeles
- http://myplasticfreelife.com/ - Beth Terry - SF Bay Area
- https://zerowastechef.com/ - Anne Marie - SF Bay Area
- http://zerogarbagechallenge.info/ - Rose - Charlottesville, Virginia
- https://colinbeavan.com/ - "No Impact Man" Colin Beavan - New York, New York
- http://robgreenfield.tv/ - Rob Greenfield - San Diego and all over
- https://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/ - Love Food, Hate Waste, a UK site to help reduce food waste
- City of Sunnyvale's "How to Get Rid of Anything" page
- http://FreecycleForever.org - Learn how to freecycle worldwide turning trash into treasure
- https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FreecycleSunnyvale/info - Sunnyvale California's local freecycling group in my home town
You can read about my own journey and discoveries on the way to Zero Waste at http://ecopractice.blogspot.com. I don't post that often because most everything is so well covered by the above sources :-) . For more about me in general, see http://timoey.com.
Zero Waste is a goal and a journey. Don't worry about perfection, just do the best that you can and keep working at it.
Thanks for reading and taking care of each other, our kids, and our planet!